Learning Goals and Signs of Success in PE

Learning Objectives for Physical Education

Personal Safety

L/O: we are learning to apply appropriate guidelines and procedures for safe participation that will allow us to minimize risk to ourselves and others

Success Criteria:

1. I, like the Mkwa Clan, “Police” myself and my own behaviour; I remind others in a respectful way the importance of safety

2. I am appropriately dressed for physical education

3. I am using the equipment for its intended purpose

4. I always wear protective equipment when required

5. I play within the rules and the safety guidelines outlined by my teachers

Personal Fitness

L/O: We are learning to actively and vigorously participate in a variety of physical activities in order to improve our over-all cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance and flexibility

Success criteria

1. My heart rate is elevated

2. My fitness scores are improving; I focus on my goals to surpass previous personal bests

3. I am constantly moving and being active

4. I am sweating

5. I recognize how maintaining my own personal health through fitness will help me to be a more effective member within my community

6. I model my dedication to my fitness after the Waabzheshi (Martin/Warrior) Clan

Movement Skills

L/O: We are learning to develop and improve our movement skills in a variety of activities so we can confidently and actively participate in all areas of sport.

Success Criteria

1. I am effectively using my practice time in class to improve my movement skills; like the ma’iingan (wolf), I act in a manner which supports all ~ I am proud of my progress and improvement but am not boastful

2. I am seeking feedback from my teacher and my classmates in order to improve my movement skills.

3. My performance is improving in drills and game situations.

Social Skills

L/O: We are learning to work together with classmates in a positive manner to solve problems and create a supportive learning environment

Success Criteria

1. I consider and apply the 7 Grandfather teachings – Love, Respect, Humility, Truth, Courage, Honesty, and Wisdom — during my interactions with others

2. I am using positive language

3. I am demonstrating positive non-verbal body language

4. I work with a variety of my classmates and demonstrate Humility through good sportsmanship

5. I am encouraging others to do their best; as modeled by the Chief Clans ~ Shagi/Ojijaak (Crane) and Manng (Loon)

6. I recognize and respect the various gifts and roles that each of my peers brings (as modeled by the clan system).